Chilly January days were also a great time to stay inside and focus on renewing myself for the coming year, emotionally, physically, and spiritually. Since I knew this was the last Christmas we would celebrate in our Cypress house, I took a little extra time and care in putting away the holiday decorations. It felt good to clear out the old and worn-out stuff, and get everything else packed in big red totes to store for the future. The renewal is ongoing as we are touching EVERY item in the house, and making decisions about what will move to the new house with us, what will be given away, and what will be thrown away. This process is sometimes all three -- emotional, physical, and spiritual -- as letting go is proving much harder and more painful than I had anticipated.
The best part of the month was the celebration of Leo's 7th birthday on the 26th. I decided to borrow an idea from Gloria this year, and take the grandkids on a "Birthday Date." I picked Leo up from school and we spent the entire evening together doing whatever he wanted to do. We wandered around Toys R US where he picked out his own gift -- an awesome remote control car. I told Leo he was a true Texan when he chose Dairy Queen for his birthday dinner! He especially loved having a "cookie dough" blizzard for dessert. Our "Birthday Date" was a rare and wonderful treat for me -- to spend some one-on-one time with our delightful and sweet little grandson. Leo is definitely one-of-a-kind: very bright and witty, thoughtful, sincere, generous, obedient, and so smart! He lost four teeth in the few days leading up to his birthday and he is absolutely charming with his toothless grin!



No comments:
Post a Comment