AUGUST - August 27th my mom had a heart attack, which resulted in triple bypass surgery three days later. Gloria and I decided to alternate time with Dad & Mom through this crisis, so Gloria went "home" immediately and helped them get through the first ten days.
SEPTEMBER - I flew to Provo on September 8th and spent the next ten days between home with Dad and at the hospital with Mom. Unfortunately Mom developed a bad infection in the wound in her leg where the surgeon had taken a vein for the bypass surgery, which required further hospitalization and slowed down her recovery. The surgeon opted for a "wound vac" system on Mom's leg (which she would wear for the next six weeks), and she was finally able to return home - an entire month after the heart attack.
On September 19th I flew from Provo to Phoenix to meet up with the Bees for the annual Beevention. Gloria and her girls hosted this year, and nine of us Bees rallied at the "Beetreat" held at the recently completed Francom cabin in Heber, Arizona. We had such a great time together talking, laughing, crying, running, hiking, eating, crafting, riding (in the Prowler), playing, and relaxing. We elected a new Queen Bee, and the mink coat, crown, scepter, and responsibilities were passed on to Amy for the next year. We initiated a "Group Me" on our phones, opened discussion on "cowbaret" for Mandy, and redefined "chaos" for the future! Luckily Tara and I were able to stay a couple of extra days with the Francoms and join Gloria's family in celebrating her birthday. On September 25th Tara flew off to work in Hawaii and I flew up to join Lee in Montana.


Lee was completing the roof on the first phase of the barn he has been constructing over the last year, and I was to be his assistant. As it turned out, I wasn't much help actually on the roof - the first time I stepped from the ladder to the rooftop I almost immediately had a panic attack! With much trauma and angst, and Lee risking his own safety for mine, I eventually got my feet back on the ladder. Who knew I was such a whimp about heights?!! I was, however, able to stand at the top of the ladder and help, and make countless trips up/down the ladder so Lee wouldn't have to get on/off the roof, so I was just slightly an incapable assistant! The trip was still a dream-come-true for Lee though because I completely devoted every minute (minus my run in the mornings) to being his "beck-and-call-girl." We were able to accomplish all of his goals for the trip, including finishing the roof on the barn.


OCTOBER - October 27-29 Tara was able to spend the weekend with us on her way to a dance event in Las Vegas, so we had our traditional family Halloween "Dinner in a Pumpkin" while she was here.
NOVEMBER - November 1-4 I was in the air again, this time heading to Ohio to visit Max, Chris, and Colleen. Max is such a great little swimmer, and I loved being able to cheer him on in several events at one of his swim meets. I also got to visit his school and have lunch with him, go to the movie together, and eat at some of his favorite spots. Time with the Christensens in Ohio is too short, and I cherish every minute.
We were especially excited to have every member of the family together for Thanksgiving this year! On Wednesday Max was surprised and thrilled to find everyone waiting for him at Sweet Tomatoes in The Woodlands for a surprise birthday celebration! We followed lunch with ice skating and a ride on the carousel in The Woodlands Mall.
We started Thanksgiving Day off with the Coles Crossing Turkey Trot first thing Thursday morning. Then we all got cleaned up and followed Lee in Chugger for family pictures (with Colleen as photographer) before we finally sat down to a yummy Thanksgiving feast. Our hearts were so full of gratitude for the many blessings we have to be thankful for, including our loving family.
There was little time to rest after the dinner dishes were cleaned up since Black Friday started at 8:00 p.m. on Thursday this year! We made a plan of attack and were successful in snatching some great deals Thursday night, before waking Isabelle very early Friday morning for her long-awaited shopping excursion. All too soon the holiday weekend was over and everyone returned to their homes to launch the Christmas season.
DECEMBER - We started December off with a last-minute trip to Las Vegas! Tara was there at a dance event and her boss gave her two tickets to the Faith Hill/Tim McGraw concert, so she invited her dad to join her for the concert. It was an easy decision for Lee -- a "date" with Tara, and great seats to a concert with some favorite Country artists! I was able to find some relatively inexpensive airfare, so I decided to tag along for the fun too. Lee hadn't been to Las Vegas in many, many years so Tara and I had a great time walking him through all of the new hotels. An added bonus was that the National Rodeo Finals were being held there too, so Lee was able to take advantage of lots of cowboy experiences! Oddly enough, while waiting to board our flight to Las Vegas I learned that Gloria & Kent were heading to Utah the next day, driving through Vegas so Kent could do some business. So, we were able to also spend a day hanging out with them too! Kent took Lee to a Shelby Mustang factory/museum while Gloria, Tara and I checked out a fun outdoor mall. What an amazing "spontaneous" weekend, thanks to Tara, who is always so thoughtful and generous.


In the two weeks leading up to Christmas we were able to share the fun at Olivia's dance recital, Isabelle's dance recital, and Isabelle's piano recital! Another celebration was Nick's MBA graduation from the Mays Business School at Texas A&M on December 13th.



When Tara arrived on December 21st the Christmas countdown began! We joined the Cosbys for the traditional "holiday nachos" on Christmas Eve, then with high hopes hung our own stockings "by the chimney with care." Christmas morning we made a quick dash back to the Cosbys to see what Santa had left under the tree, then hurried home to put the finishing touches on a ham dinner to wind up a beautiful Christmas Day.
The girls planned an "adult" birthday celebration for Lee on the 29th, so Ben and Nick stayed home with the little ones and the 5 of us went to the movie Parental Guidance, which was a perfect choice for the girls and their parents! They then treated us to dinner at Red Lobster. The guys and grandkids didn't miss out completely on the birthday celebrating - we just added it to the festivities on New Year's Eve for them.
Although New Year's Eve was rainy, Grandpa built a fire out on the patio and we spent a few minutes huddled close to the fire and watched the rain pouring off the roof. Olivia and Leo went to bed almost as usual, but Isabelle loved counting down to midnight (which was true on the kitchen clock that Amy had set ahead!) Some of us might have dozed a little off-and-on throughout the evening, but we were all awake to officially ring in 2013!!
WHEW! Made it!! Looking forward to greater success with resolutions in 2013!



1 comment:
Wonderful catch up job!!! Thanks for sharing!
Post a Comment